Although Arsenal’s last game ended in a 3-2 defeat to The Blues at Stamford Bridge, we surely got to see the changes that Unai Emery, the man taking over the mantle after Arsene Wenger, has brought in for the Gunners. The style of play and the tactics have certainly changed and though, slowly but steadily, Arsenal are gaining momentum.
Few facts ahead of this week’s Arsenal Vs West Ham game:
- The Gunners have lost only one of their last 22 Arsenal Vs West Ham matches in all competitions (W17 D4), losing 2-0 on the opening day of the 2015-16 season.
- West Ham United have won five away Premier League matches at Arsenal (three at Highbury, two at the Emirates) – only Liverpool (7) and Man Utd (8) have won more.
- Should Arsenal suffer a defeat in this match, they’ll have lost their opening three league games in a season for the first time since 1954-55 and for only the fifth time ever (also 1923-24, 1921-22 and 1895-96).
- Arsenal hasn’t lost a Premier League London derby match at the Emirates Stadium since January 2016 (0-1 vs Chelsea), winning six and drawing three of their derby games at the Stadium since then.
- Unai Emery faced Manuel Pellegrini on 10 occasions in La Liga, winning three, drawing three and losing four – Emery won his two most recent home league matches against the Chilean, doing so in January 2011 (Valencia 4-3 Malaga) and December 2011 (Valencia 2-0 Malaga).
This game week could feature the following players on the pitch for Arsenal: –
Goalkeeper: Petr Cech
Cech is a much more reliable keeper than Leno, as he recently joined the club and new to the Premier League; his induction to the team boosted Arsenal’s game when Sanchez was a prominent figure in the lineup.
Defence: Nacho Monreal, Sokratis Papastathopoulos, Shkodran Mustafi and Hector Bellerin
Monreal, recently back from an injury, played quite decently in the last game being out for more than 4 months due to a knee injury. Left-back seems to be the main concern for the Arsenal defence with Maitland-Niles and Kolasinac also injured, which leaves Monreal the only player to be in a healthy condition in order to save Arsenal from the pressure of accommodating a left back.
Sokratis and Mustafi have taken care of the back, and with the chemistry between the two expected to improve by every game week, as Sokratis recently joined the club and hasn’t found a rhythm till now due to the differences of communication and other factors, these two will be holding the defence for Arsenal.
Midfielders: Guendouzi, Torreira, Ozil, Mkhitaryan(Right winger), Ramsey
Ozil has not delivered yet and there is a feeling in the air which suggests that there is something big coming for him this season.
Mkhitaryan, is currently, the top performer at the club and the FPL scout has recommended the viewers to select him in the upcoming matches which says a lot about him, ever since he joined this club.
Ramsey also being a consistent playmaker for Arsenal is expected to play the Arsenal Vs West Ham match so that Arsenal build a winning momentum or inducing confidence into his teammates which is definitely lacking in their play.
Although he had missed a number of chances last game against Chelsea, he is expected to bounce back and replicate his form as he did in his Dortmund days.