With less than 24 hours remaining before the transfer window in England slams shut, Manchester United are still without a top-class centre-back signing, which Mourinho has been craving for the most part of the transfer window. Big names have been linked with a move to Old Trafford with the likes of Harry Maguire, Toby Alderweireld, Yerry Mina and Jerome Boateng all being touted. However, United have been struggling to get their targets over the line for the past week or so.
Reports suggest United made a £22.5million offer for Jerome Boateng, but were told to double their bid. Bayern want a fee in the region of £45 million for a player who has a contract till 2021. 29 years old was set to leave Bayern after seven years at the club and CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has said they would allow him a move if a club was to make the right offer.
The player himself also appeared open to a new challenge but has not commented on the exit rumours since resuming training at Bayern earlier this month.
But according some reports, the Jerome Boateng has reportedly called United manager Jose Mourinho on Tuesday to inform him he won’t move to Old Trafford.
Exclusive: @JB17Official Jerome Boateng called José Mourinho to tell him personally that he is grateful for the interest, but he won’t come to Manchester. No Transfer to @ManUtd @SPORTBILD @BILD_Sport
— Christian Falk (@cfbayern) August 7, 2018
Boateng told Mourinho that he believes his chances of winning the Champions League are more at Bayern rather than at United. Bild, who first reported Boateng’s rejection of United late on Tuesday, said that a conversation with new Bayern head coach Niko Kovac played a role in the defender’s decision. Kovac reportedly told the defender he could still play a pivotal role for Bayern in the coming season.
The Premier League transfer window will close Thursday, so there’s not a lot of time left for United to sort out their transfers and they would hope to sign a centre-half most adept to playing in the Premier League.