United vs Burnley Match Overview :-
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s revamped Manchester United side will seek to make it nine wins on the bounce and six in the league against a Burnley side on Tuesday night who had experienced a similar renaissance of late.
Saturday’s 3-1 win over Arsenal in the fourth round of the FA Cup made it eight straight victories in all competitions, including six in the Premier League to put United right back in top-four contention.
The 1-0 victory at Tottenham Hotspur on January 13 was followed by a 2-1 home success over Brighton & Hove Albion last weekend, which moved the Red Devils to within seven points of Tottenham Hotspur in third and three points of fourth-placed Chelsea.
Let’s take a look at the line-up that Solskjaer might field against Burnley tonight.
United Goalkeeper :- David De Gea
David De Gea was rested in the victory against the Gunners. He will be back between the sticks for the Red Devils.
Defenders :- Eric Baily, Phil Jones, Diego Dalot and Luke Shaw
Chris Smalling is edging closer to a first-team return after his recent foot problem that has kept him sidelined since December 8, but Solsjaer will not be willing to risk him immediately.
Marcus Rojo remains out injured. Ole might also find it an oppurtunity to rest Lindelof, keeping the upcoming fixtures in mind, and pair Eric Baily and Jones as the centre backs.
That said, Ole would be fielding Diego Dalot as the right back, Lindelof and Jones as the centre backs and Luke Shaw on the left.
Midfielders :- Fred, Paul Pogba and Matic
Marouane Fellaini faces at least a month on the sidelines, other than that Solskjaer has an option to field a variety of midfield options with Fred and Pereira likely to pick up minutes and Ander Herrera given a rest.
Nemanja Matic needs to get some rest keeping in mind the upcoming fixtures, but Ole seems to have not found a reliable replacement for his role yet.
Solskjaer is likely to field Matic, Pogba and Fred in the First XI.
Forwards :- Martial, Rashford and Mata.
Jesse Lingard is likely to be rested. Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford will be back in the starting line-up after being left out of the Starting XI vs Arsenal.
Romelu Lukaku and Alexis Sanchez may get some minutes after impressing in the victory against the Gunners. Romelu Lukaku has an impressive record in his six Premier League starts vs Burnley having a hand in six goals (netting four and assisting another two)
Juan Mata is expected to be in the starting line-up after being limited to very few minutes in recent matches .
Thus, Ole is likely to field an attacking trio of Martial, Rashford and Mata.
Latest United News :
Match Facts against Burnley :-
- Manchester United are coming into the match winning all of their last five league matches and registering an eighth consecutive win in all competitions .
- Burnley were enjoying an impressive winning run of their own since being thrashed by Everton on Boxing Day, picking up three consecutive wins but were then halted by Watford in the League and then Man City routed them 5-0 in the FA Cup.
Head-to-Head – United vs Burnley :
- This will be the 128th meeting between the two sides with United picking up 61 wins in that time. Burnley have a respectable 44 wins to their name.
- Manchester United are unbeaten in 19 home games against Burnley in all competitions since a 5-2 defeat in the top flight in September 1962.
- The Clarets have left with a point in their last two matches at Old Trafford (0-0 in 2016 and 2-2 in 2017), with only a stoppage-time equaliser from Jesse Lingard denying them victory there last season.
- Home and away, Burnley have registered just one victory in the past 26 meetings (D15, L10)
Manchester United :
- Solskjaer can become the first manager in Premier League history to begin his reign with seven successive Premier League victories. He is currently level on six wins with Pep Guardiola (at Manchester City in 2016) and Carlo Ancelotti (with Chelsea in 2009).
- Marcus Rashford could become the third youngest player to score in five consecutive Premier League games, behind Nicolas Anelka in 1998 and Jose Antonio Reyes in 2004.
- Manchester United have been awarded seven Premier League penalties this season, more than any other side – while opponents Burnley are yet to be given a spot-kick.
For Latest Manchester United News, Transfers, Match Updates and much more !!!
- 4-3-3 | Rashford, Pogba and Matic to Start : This is the Strongest Lineup United Will Field To Secure All Three Points Against Burnley - 29/01/2019
- David De Gea – Manchester United’s Greatest Ever Goalkeeper - 25/01/2019
- Four Huge Lessons Arsenal Have To Learn From The Arsenal-Huddersfield 1-0 Win - 12/12/2018