Manchester United have been in sublime form under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. They have been unbeaten in the premier league in their last 13 matches. Out of the 13 matches, 6 of them were away games which itself is a new record.
The speculation that there was regarding as to who would be there at the head next season has quietened down, with Ole deemed favourite.
Man United’s greatest strength under Ole has been their attacking, scoring at least 36 goals in all competitions under Solskjaer.
With the likes of Pogba, Lukaku, Rashford, Lingard and Martial and Andres Pereira marshalling the United midfield attack, both the departments look well-equipped. The only department which relatively needs improvement still is the defence.
Jose Mourinho also emphasised on getting a defender during the summer as a remedy to solve United’s woes. Before the departure of the Portuguese he made it clear about his unhappiness of United not backing him in the transfer market.
Ole too have made clear his desire that United do need to sign a quality defender.
Now, if reports from the Italian outlet ‘Tutto Mercato Web’ are to be considered true; United may try to compete for these two players in the summer:
The first player on the list is :
- João Cancelo : The Portuguese right-back currently plays for Juventus F.C. whom he joined from Valencia in 2014. Mainly, a right back, he can also play as a left back or as a winger. Looking at the situation with Antonio Valencia set to leave the club and Ashley Young ageing; there should be some truth in this as the Devils will certainly look to bring some competition in for Diogo Dalot.
According to reports, the Portuguese will reportedly cost the Devils around €60m which makes him quite a sensible option given how young and talent Cancelo is.
Regarded as a promising player, Cancelo is mainly known for his speed, technical ability and creativity in the final-third. Solskjaer, hugely cherishes the trait as seen by the recent use of Diogo Dalot in the wide positions. So going after the Portuguese can be seen as a well-calculated move with Ole all set to be at the wheel next season.
- Kalidou Koulibaly: The Napoli center-back is one of the most demanded footballers in the market right now. Since, joining Napoli in 2014 the Senegalese has excelled in its role.
Quick reading of play, aerial superiority and his physical presence in the defence has made him an ideal asset for any club.
The Senegalese will not come cheap though as Napoli value the center-back upwards of a €100m. Considering the quality of Koulibaly the price tag might just become a bargain.
The arrival of a world class defender might just bring that much needed improvement in United’s defence. United fans will hope that Koulibaly’s arrival if it happens will work in the same manner as to what Virgil Van Dijk has done for Liverpool.
The presence of a quality defender will surely help United in improving its defence and will help getting those clean sheets which they have been missing this season. Koulibaly may line-up with Victor Lindelof or Chris Smalling; with the former seen as Ole’s first choice.
If these deals go through United fans would be looking at a rock-solid defence with Koulibaly, Lindelof, Shaw and Cancelo or Dalot all lining up in a fearsome back line.
Cancelo and Dalot can provide that extra pace and creativity while attacking; while Koulibaly and Lindelof can prove to be an excellent centre-halves just like Vidic and Ferdinand used to be in the old Fergie days.
- Unai Emery Reveals The Two Things He Wants To Achieve At Arsenal And We Couldn’t Agree More - 06/04/2019
- Manchester United Ready To Move For €60m World Class Brazilian Winger Despite Heavy Interest From PSG and Tottenham - 03/04/2019
- Round Two | Arsenal Plan Solid Bid To Land €35m PSG midfielder That Mislintat Scouted For The Summer - 30/03/2019