You are here
Home > Arsenal > Round of 16 : Uruguay vs Portugal | How the Teams will line up and What to expect as Ronaldo faces up against Suarez and co

Round of 16 : Uruguay vs Portugal | How the Teams will line up and What to expect as Ronaldo faces up against Suarez and co

Uruguay vs Portugal clash, Uruguay vs Portugal predicted line ups

As the sides meet on Sochi on Saturday to decide who would face Argentina/France in the Quarter-finals next, we look at the red and blue side of things in this encounter which promises to be a feisty Uruguay vs Portugal contest.[spacer height=”30px”]

Most people would like to call it a battle between Ronaldo and Suarez..but there are several interesting pawns who could single-handedly decide the outcome.[spacer height=”30px”]

[spacer height=”30px”]STORY SO FAR AHEAD OF URUGUAY VS PORTUGAL :[spacer height=”30px”]

Portugal have finished second in their group after a late-frenzy in the matches involving the 4 teams from Group-B. Meanwhile, Uruguay can boast of a 100% record coming out of their group with 3 wins, 5 scored and none conceded.[spacer height=”30px”]

Strikers Ronaldo and Suarez have hit top gear in the group stages itself although it can be argued that Suarez’s side has more momentum going into this clash.[spacer height=”30px”]

Uruguay always have enough in the tank when it comes to World Cups. Portugal will have to tread carefully to avoid slip-ups. The going will only get tough for the sides in this part of the bracket but all match-permutations for the Uruguay vs Portugal clash are intriguing. [spacer height=”30px”]

[spacer height=”30px”]We could see Ronaldo vs Messi or Suarez vs Messi next and even get a replay of the Euro 2016 final should France and Portugal progress. Either way, on Saturday we will see one of these two nations pack their bags and join Germany on an early departure flight.[spacer height=”30px”]


PORTUGAL[spacer height=”30px”]

CRISTIANO RONALDO[spacer height=”30px”]

He is slightly shaken after the Iran clash but you would be mistaken to think that he has run out of gas.[spacer height=”30px”]

Capable of producing a stellar performance under intense pressure, Ronaldo would be keen to add to his 4 goals this World Cup by hitting a few in the Uruguay vs Portugal match.[spacer height=”30px”]

Image result for ronaldo vs iran
Image obtained via world sport news

[spacer height=”30px”]More than that though, he would want to somehow progress and take his beloved nation to the next stage after all the world cup is all that is missing from his trophy room.[spacer height=”30px”]

RICARDO QUARESMA[spacer height=”30px”]

Image result for RICARDO QUARESMA
Image obtained via the Indian Express

[spacer height=”30px”]The wily winger has aged with grace and seems to get better at dribbling and crossing with time. He has grown into himself this World Cup and if Uruguay get busy marking Ronaldo, he will pop up to score again, make no mistake.[spacer height=”30px”]

His outside-of-the foot shots are vicious with a deadly curve and he might just break Muslera’s clean sheet streak.[spacer height=”30px”]

What he offers to the team is indeed unique and greatly appreciated and this has managed to kept out competition from Bernardo Silva and Gelson Martins for his position and will preferably start ahead of them in the Uruguay vs Portugal clash.[spacer height=”30px”]

WILLIAM CARVALHO[spacer height=”30px”]

The midfield enforcer will resume his role quietly yet again, guarding the ageing defence of Pepe and Fonte against the ruthless duo of Suarez and Cavani.[spacer height=”30px”]

Image result for william carvalho
Image obtained via the

[spacer height=”30px”]One thing is for certain: if he fails on Saturday in the Uruguay vs Portugal fixture, Portugal will very likely be packing their bags on Sunday.[spacer height=”30px”]

However, form is on his side and he wouldn’t want to slip up now ahead of their most crucial match till date.[spacer height=”30px”]

URUGUAY[spacer height=”30px”]

LUIS SUAREZ[spacer height=”30px”]

The South American sensation has had quite a story in World Cups-from handling the ball vs Ghana to biting Chiellini to scoring the goals whenever it mattered.[spacer height=”30px”]

Image result for luis suarez uruguay
Image obtained via

[spacer height=”30px”]He has two this time around and will be relishing the opportunity to score for Uruguay vs Portugal and become the match winner once and a national hero once again. Moreover he is just one goal away from tying the Uruguay world cup goal scoring record of 8 goals.[spacer height=”30px”]

DIEGO GODIN[spacer height=”30px”]

An important reason behind all three of Uruguay’s clean sheets is the tenacious defender guarding the goal. Godin is still in his prime and sees to it that no one escapes past his backline.[spacer height=”30px”]

He will most likely be tasked to mark Ronaldo as he has done so often at Atletico. This duel could decide who wins the game.[spacer height=”30px”]

Image result for diego godin uruguay
Image obtained via

[spacer height=”30px”]LUCAS TORREIRA[spacer height=”30px”]

The 22 year old defensive-midfield starlet will once again look to come off the bench and impress. His performances have been great so far and perhaps now is the time to score an eye-catching stunner and settle his impending move to Arsenal for once. Would be a great time to make an announcement if his side do indeed progress.[spacer height=”30px”]

Deal Agreed : Arsenal on the verge of landing Lucas Torreira | Arsenal paying more than the Release Clause

[spacer height=”30px”]PREDICTED LINE-UPS FOR URUGUAY VS PORTUGAL[spacer height=”30px”]

Joao Moutinho came off the bench to replace Adrien Silva in the last clash and should be fit enough to start. Andre Silva didn’t impress so he can be replaced by Guedes.[spacer height=”30px”]

As for Uruguay, it remains to be seen if Jose Gimenez is fit to partner Godin or will Coates start ahead of him in central defence for Uruguay vs Portugal Round of 16 clash.[spacer height=”30px”]

PORTUGAL:[spacer height=”30px”]

portugal vs iran predicted line ups, iran vs portugal, portugal vs uruguay predicted lineups, uruguay vs portugal

[spacer height=”30px”]URUGUAY:[spacer height=”30px”]

Portugal vs Uruguay predicted line ups, Uruguay vs Portugal line up


[spacer height=”30px”]SCORE PREDICTION FOR URUGUAY VS PORTUGAL : [spacer height=”30px”]

At the Fisht stadium, it will be only the third time these two have locked horns together, with Portgual so far unbeaten against them having won one and drawn one.[spacer height=”30px”]

They have lost just once in their last 17 matches at the tournament excluding penalties although they haven’t progressed beyond this round for some time.[spacer height=”30px”]

Uruguay will be the slight favorites going in with a chance to win 4 on the bounce. The odds are stacked ever so evenly. Portugal have a 32% chance while Uruguay have a 34% probability with a draw also likely at 34%.[spacer height=”30px”]

I predict it to be an open but defensively tight affair with a 1-1 scoreline and penalties required to pull through to the next round. Who will progress remains to be seen but my instinct says Uruguay.[spacer height=”30px”]

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.